I am always looking to the past for inspiration, and one of the most iconic eras for vintage fashion is the 1980s. And one TV show that perfectly encapsulated the glamour and opulence of 80s fashion was Dynasty. If you’re not familiar, the popular primetime soap opera, which aired from 1981 to 1989, featured an all-star cast and some of the most fabulous fashion of the decade. While I’ve never actually watched the series, I always search for images and video clips from the series for endless inspo.
To achieve the Dynasty look, make sure to include these designers on your shopping list and incorporate these key elements of 80s style.
Bold Prints and Colors
One of the hallmarks of 1980s fashion was its use of bold prints and colors, and Dynasty was no exception. The show’s characters frequently donned bright, eye-catching outfits in everything from geometric prints to abstract florals. Look for separates that you can mix and match to create that stunning print mix I love so much.
Designers to Search:
Christian Lacroix – French fashion designer Christian Lacroix was known for his extravagant and colorful designs that often featured bold prints and patterns. His designs were popular with wealthy women who wanted to make a statement with their fashion.
Emanuel Ungaro – French fashion designer Emanuel Ungaro was known for his feminine and colorful designs that often featured bold prints and florals. His designs were popular with women who wanted to embrace their femininity and celebrate their curves.
Escada – German fashion brand Escada was known for its colorful and luxurious designs that often incorporated bold prints and patterns. The brand’s signature look was popular with wealthy women who wanted to exude glamour and sophistication.
Yves Saint Laurent – Yves Saint Laurent was a French fashion house that was popular in the 80s for its bold and colorful designs. The brand’s iconic Mondrian collection, which featured dresses inspired by the work of artist Piet Mondrian, was particularly popular during this time.
My Curated Finds:
- Vintage 70’s 80’s Gianni Versace Business Women’s Wool Blazer Size 4 / 38 Black, $100
- VIntage Yves Saint Laurent Red Jacket Cropped Bolero? Cotton Rayon Size 44, $32
- Women Versace Jeans Couture Green Vintage Pants Basquiat? Italy 24 x 29 EUC!!!, $165
- Vtg 80s Betsey Johnson Punk Label Puff Sleeve Victorian Moire Blouse M, $200
- Vintage 80s Blouse Sz 10 Yellow Black Polka Dot Short Sleeve Dress Shirt Yves, $11
- Vintage YSL Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Women’s Jacquard Trousers Pants Eu 42, $129
- Vintage 80s 90s Laurel by Escada Black Gold Nylon Pants Women’s 36 RARE Italy, $88
- Diane Freis Vintage 80s silk Floral Cottage drop waist BOHO dress festival Top L, $29
- Vintage 70s 80s Halston Yellow Silk Jacket Fashion History, $200
- Vtg 80s Victor Costa White Two Piece Skirt Suit XS, $76
- Vintage Escada by Margaretha Ley 100% Silk Graphic Elephant Shirt Blouse Top 36, $97
- Vintage Bob Mackie Wearable Art 100% Silk Shirt Multi Colors 1X Shoulder Pads, $25
Big Hair and Statement Accessories
The women of Dynasty sported voluminous hairstyles that were often styled with headbands or scarves. They also accessorized with statement jewelry like oversized earrings and chunky necklaces. While I don’t recommend teasing your hair to achieve the look, a dose of big accessories will do the trick.
Designers to Search:
Givenchy: Givenchy was a popular French fashion brand in the 1980s known for its luxurious and glamorous designs. Their costume jewelry often featured intricate detailing, bold shapes, and sparkling crystals, and was designed to complement their elegant clothing.
Christian Dior: Christian Dior was a popular French fashion brand in the 1980s known for its sophisticated and feminine designs. Their costume jewelry often featured delicate detailing, bold colors, and luxurious materials like gold and pearls.
Kenneth Jay Lane: Kenneth Jay Lane was an American fashion designer in the 1980s known for his glamorous and affordable costume jewelry. His designs often featured bold shapes, bright colors, and sparkling crystals, and were popular among both celebrities and fashion-conscious women.
Chanel: Chanel was a popular French fashion brand in the 1980s known for its classic and timeless designs. Their costume jewelry often featured their iconic interlocking “C” logo, as well as bold shapes, sparkling crystals, and luxurious materials like pearls and gold.
Miriam Haskell: Miriam Haskell was an American jewelry designer in the 1980s known for her intricate and elegant designs. Her costume jewelry often featured delicate beading, floral motifs, and sparkling crystals, and was popular among both fashion-conscious women and collectors.
My Curated Finds:
- Vintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX BIG CROSS SHINY GOLDTONE 80s STATEMENT EARRINGS, $450
- Vintage Charm Bracelet Gold Tone Links Faux Baroque Pearls Miriam Haskell STYLE, $35
- Vintage 80’s Dynasty Style Rhinestone Earrings, $4
- Vintage 80s pierced earrings gold tone, $2
- Vintage Kenneth J Lane KJL Gold Tone Link Bracelet w/ Blue Stone Clasp Excellent, $20
- Vintage 80s pierced earrings hammered gold tone, $2
- Vintage Jewel Tone Clip Earrings Multicolor Huge Chunky Rhinestone 80s Fashion, $50
- MOST BEAUTIFUL INTRICATE MIRIAM HASKELL SEED PEARL RHINESTONE EARRINGS VINTAGE, $450
- Vintage Kenneth J. Lane KJL for Avon Gold & Silver tone Metal Omega Choker, $18
- CHANEL Gold Plated CC Logos Triangle Swing Vintage Clip Earrings, $105
Power Suits and Shoulder Pads
Dynasty was known for its power suits, which were often worn by the show’s strong female characters. These suits typically featured shoulder pads, which were a major trend and I will die on this hill that shoulder pads are amazing.
Designers to Search:
Anne Klein: The American fashion designer was known for her chic and sophisticated designs that were popular with working women. Her suits were often made from high-quality wool and featured clean lines and classic shapes.
Giorgio Armani: The Italian fashion designer was known for his minimalist and elegant designs. Armani’s power suits for women were often made from high-quality wool and featured sharp tailoring and clean lines.
Donna Karan: The American fashion designer was a pioneer of the power dressing trend and created a line of suits specifically for women in the 1980s. Her designs were known for their simplicity and sophistication, with a focus on neutral colors like black, gray, and navy.
Calvin Klein: Calvin Klein was a popular American fashion designer in the 1980s, known for his minimalist and timeless designs. His power suits for women were often made from luxurious fabrics like silk and featured understated tailoring and clean lines.
Ralph Lauren: The American fashion designer was known for his classic and preppy designs, but he also created power suits for women in the 1980s. His suits were often made from wool or tweed and featured classic shapes with a modern twist.
Yves Saint Laurent: Although YSL became popular in the 1970s for his power suits for women, he continued to create power suits for women in the 1980s. His designs were known for their impeccable tailoring, luxurious fabrics, and bold colors.
My curated finds:
- Lauren Ralph Lauren brown 3pc suit S 4 silk pants jacket button down stripes vtg, $120
- VINTAGE Two Piece Suit – Pants and Jacket Blazer Set – SZ 8 Retro Cotton Blend, $65
- Vintage Ralph Lauren Gold Crested Blazer Jacket 100% Wool Size 8, $90
- Vintage Anne Klein II Wool And Cashmere 2 Piece Suit 80’s Luxury Women’s Size 12, $176
- RARE** Vtg Anne Klein II 2 Piece Pure Wool JACKET and SHORTS Outfit XS Uber 80s, $365
- Vtg 80s Black & Cream Power Suit 10 PSI Blazer Jacket Skirt Kick Pleats Wool USA, $37
- Donna Karan New York Vintage 1980s Collared V Neck Silk Bodysuit 8 Red, $53
- Vintage 80s Girl Power Skirt Blazer Suit Set Pink Pearl Button Crochet M L, $25
- Vintage 80s Kishi Cream Power Zip Front Shoulder Pads Blazer Women’s Size 4 EUC, $50
Glamorous Evening Wear
Dynasty was all about glamour, especially when it came to evening wear. The show’s characters frequently donned sparkly gowns and fur coats, which were the epitome of 80s luxury. I discovered Victor Costa over a decade ago searching for Dynasty inspired evening wear on ebay! For the ultimate vibe, pair a vintage sequined or beaded dress with a faux fur coat.
Designers to Search:
Halston: Halston was a popular American fashion designer in the 1970s known for his elegant and sophisticated designs. His evening wear pieces often featured fluid, draped silhouettes and luxurious fabrics like silk and jersey.
Yves Saint Laurent: YSL was a popular French fashion designer in the 1970s and 1980s known for his bold and innovative designs. His evening wear pieces often featured striking colors, bold prints, and luxurious fabrics like velvet and satin.
Oscar de la Renta: Oscar de la Renta was a popular American fashion designer in the 1970s and 1980s known for his glamorous and feminine designs. His eveningwear pieces often featured intricate beading, embroidery, and lace, and were made from luxurious fabrics like silk and taffeta.
Bob Mackie: Bob Mackie was a popular American fashion designer in the 1970s and 1980s known for his extravagant and over-the-top designs. His evening wear pieces often featured dramatic silhouettes, bold colors, and intricate beading and embellishments.
Versace: Versace was a popular Italian fashion brand in the 1980s known for its bold and luxurious designs. Their evening wear pieces often featured bright colors, bold prints, and luxurious fabrics like silk and velvet, with dramatic silhouettes and intricate detailing.
Victor Costa: Victor Costa gained popularity in the 1980s for his glamorous and feminine designs, particularly his evening dresses. He was known for his use of luxurious fabrics, intricate embellishments, and bold colors in his designs. His dresses often featured dramatic silhouettes, voluminous skirts, and fitted bodices, and were popular among fashion-conscious women of the decade.
My curated finds:
- Halston Style 1970s 80s Hollywood Disco Gatsby Evening Grammy Red Carpet Dress, $250
- Vintage 80s 90s Jumpsuit Women’s XS Disco Romper Dynasty 70s Metallic Snakeskin, $50
- Vintage 80s Lillie Rubin Ruched Evening Dress S Cobalt Blue Rhinestone, $239
- Vtg 80s Black Gold Silk Beaded Sequin Leaf Cocktail Party Dress Size XS S, $50
- Vintage 80s Alyce Designs Liquid Silver Lame Foil Cocktail Prom Party Dress Sz 6, $350
- VTG’80s Womens Cocktail Party Dress Purple Velvet Shimmer Taffeta /Prom/Formal, $60
- Donna Karan Vintage 1990’s Plunging Black Cold Shoulder Jersey Evening Dress, $350
- Vtg 80s Hot Pink Skirt Suit Blazer Black Velvet Trim Fitted Power Suit Sz Medium, $80
- Vintage Destinee Sz Small Gold lame Cocktail Dress Elastic Shoulder Pads- 80’s, $39
- Vintage 80s Dress Ricki Lang For Nuit Pleated Beaded 8 Womens, $70
- Vintage victor costa retro 80s tulle puff tiered dress cotton size 6 floral, $200
Vintage fashion from the 1980s series Dynasty is all about bold prints and colors, big hair and statement accessories, power suits and shoulder pads, and glamorous evening wear. By incorporating these vintage trends into your wardrobe, you can channel the opulent and stylish look of this iconic TV show.